Tuesday, May 10, 2011

May 9, 2011 Kew Gardens and I Am the Wind

Today we went to Kew Gardens and it was beautiful beyond words. Beyond Filoli even, so that you know I am serious. Kew Gardens has the world's biggest glass houses...heaven! There was a tropical house (Palm House), a desert house (Princess of Wales Conservatory), the Water Lily House, and the Temperate House (the biggest glass house)!
The Palm House
The Palm House
Wisteria!
Kew Gardens in a gigantic park and I decided that it would be a good idea to break in new Keds without  socks! Owww! But, it barely mattered because I was in flora and fauna heaven.

There was a huge and blooming wisteria vine and it smelled like my childhood in Pleasant Hill. It was one of the highlights of the gardens for me.

Before we went into the gardens, Olivia and Matt and Andy and I went to Kew Greenhouse for their famous scones. Yummmm...those scones put Elizabeth's in SLC to shame. But, I regret not trying the Kew Greenhouse's shepherd's pie and pasties...

I Am the Wind
When we got back from the gardens, Olivia and Matt and Chase and Katie and Nathan and Ward and Stuart and I all went to see a new play at the Young Vic called I Am the Wind. 'Twas good...not great. No. 'Twas mediocre...not great. It was...french avant-garde...absurdist...nonsense. But, I loved the set. The Young Vic is a thrust stage and in the middle of the stage was a dip and then a huge puddle of water. When the play got going, a hydraulic platform lifted from under the water and acted as the boat. It was fascinating to watch, but the drips of the water lulled me to sleep more often than not.

Off to Soho, 'night!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, incredibly gorgeous! Now I really regret that I haven't been to Kew Gardens (and I've been to London bunches of times :-p) Do you feel somewhat liberated without a camera? (Assuming you don't have one yet.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel totally liberated. Andy said, today at Hampton Court in the Chapel Royal, "We don't realize what we take away from something once we take a picture of it." It's true! A picture will never serve better than memories.

    ReplyDelete