Saturday, May 21, 2011

Catching Up: May 15, 2011 The Tower of Disneyland...I mean, London


We went to the Tower of London today! I was so excited to go back to my fifth grader self's favorite part of the Melton family trip to England. But...I was so disappointed with what the Tower has become: a slightly morbid Disneyland.


It really has become this.

On the Tower Green, where all the important prisoners got their heads lopped off, there's now a stupid and tacky commemorative sculpture instead of a chopping block.

In the Bloody Tower, where the two young princes were murdered, there is a whole "who dunnit" exhibit between Richard III and Henry VI!

The only tower that seemed to have the tiniest speck of its original feel was Beauchamp Tower, the tower with all the famous carved graffiti.

We spent...I spent the whole day there speeding around and searching for some genuine intuitive history, I guess the feel history, and left unsatisfied.
The Tower Green
Photo by Andy

However, the church service we went to at the Chapel Royal in the Tower of London was quite nice. The most amazing choir...wow!

Relaxed tonight...I think...I don't remember.

1 comment: