- A nice long flight, but forgot camera on the plane. Stress ensued.
- Andy, who experienced more motion sickness in the last 24 hours than ever before in his entire life, threw up after an acceptable cab ride. THE FIRST TIME IN 12 YEARS.
- Blisters from transporting our bags from the airport to ours flats.
But, after I did all I could for the camera and after...well, Andy felt nauseous for the rest of the night...but, we managed to have fun our first day in London.
Andy, our friend Matt and I searched around South Kensington for a cafe with reasonably priced coffee before heading back to the flats for our orientation. Giraffe Cafe had exactly what they needed.
Our orientation took us around the greater area of South Kensington to a computer lab and our classroom and then took us to Gloucestor Station to go see the Clybourne Park at the Wyndhams Theatre. It was awesome, but, unfortunately, I was so tired from the flight that I was fighting to stay awake. My body fell asleep and sometimes my eyes followed. But, I want to be in this play! It was the closing night and all the actors cried during curtain call. The house was at a standing ovation and clapped without stopping through three bows and exits.
I was interested to see how the british audiences would take Clybourne Park. They laughed often, even through parts that I thought were inappropriate. I think that was my American sensibility wouldn't call this show a comedy. It was funny, but I wouldn't call it a comedy...or maybe that's because it's still just a little too close to home.
Public eavesdropping during intermission:
"What is a chafing dish?"
"...quite cleverly written!"
After the play, a group of us, led by Jane, hurried off the South Kensington tube stop to stop by her second favorite gelato place in the city: Oddono's. It. Was. Amazing. Not many gelato places come close to comparing to Vivoli in Florence, but Oddono's raspberry gelato was to die for. I must go back as soon as possible.
After gelato, a smaller group broke off and went to the Queen's Arms pub. I got a Leffe Blonde for two pounds fifty. It was nasty. Tomorrow I am hopefully going to have an english cider with black.
Oh! I have to go! Andy and I are going for a walk in Kensington Gardens!
Tah-tah!
oh yay, you're off and running! your mom said it was supposed to be about 72 degrees in London today. i hope so, that would be just about perfect.
ReplyDeleteWhat IS a chafing dish, indeed! Laughing. True adventures are full of unexpected joys and a bump or two along the way. Enjoy it all! Experiences like this come but a few times in a "journey." Hi and hugs to you and Andy. Love and miss you so, chicken.
ReplyDelete