Friday, June 3, 2011

Catching Up: May 20, 2011 Westminster Abbey, The National Backstage Tour and The Holy Rosenbergs

We started the day at Westminster Abbey with Tim as our tour guide. This was one experience I did NOT appreciate as much as a fifth grader because...WOW. The abbey is so beautiful and ornate and dark and...PALIMPSEST IS THE COOLEST THING.
Big Ben and the London Eye
Photo by Andy
Cuties, Nathan and Claire, outside Westminster Abbey.
My favorite part of the abbey was Queen Elizabeth I's tomb vs. Mary Queen of Scots' tomb because Tim told us that Mary's tomb was built by her son when he became the king of England. Mary's tomb is taller than Elizabeth's and has a red tiger at her feet to protect her. These two things suggest the king's belief that his mother had the natural right to be the queen of England.
Photo by Andy
Notable graves and/or tombs:
- Aphra Behn
- Anne Bracegirdle (first professional actress)
- Mary Queen of Scots
- Queen Elizabeth I
Photo by Andy
On Westminster Bridge.
After the tour, Andy and had a picnic on the lawn in front of Westminster Abbey. Andy was so tired that he took a little nap in my lap. When he woke up, he and I walked across the Westminster Bridge and along the Thames to the National Theatre for our backstage(s) tour!!! On the way we watched some crazy street performers! One Charlie Chaplin impersonator, a few cool Africans limboing...you know, the usual.
Charlie Chaplin? Is that you?
Photo by Andy
The National backstage(s) tour was INCREDIBLE. I'm just going to copy my notes from the tour!

The Olivier where Zoe Wanamaker's Cherry Orchard is currently playing.
The Olivier

  • Seats 1,160 people
  • It was designed after the greek amphitheater Epidaurus. 
  • At the point of command on stage, the place on stage where the actors/actresses can take in the whole audience without having to turn their head, the eyesight is 118 degrees. This stage was clearly made for an actor because women's peripheral goes to 123 degrees. Little known fact.
  • Most of the time, all the music in the Olivier is live and the actors are rarely miked.

The Cottisloe
Cottisloe Theatre where The Holy Rosenbergs and London Road are playing.

  • Seats 200-400 people depending on the set up.
  • It's located underneath the Olivier and almost did not exist!
  • Black box theatre, but also an example of an Elizabethan courtyard theatre.
  • Has a hydraulic floor which allows the space to drastically change to fit the needs of certain productions.
  • Adapts well to smells to transport audiences with their noses.
  • The first ever production of Angels in America done here.
Lyttleton theatre where Rocket to the Moon and One Man, Two Guv'nors are playing.
The Lyttleton
  • Seats 890 people.
  • A proscenium arch theatre that almost didn't exist at the National because it is such a standard theatre design.
  • It has a hydraulic stage which means it can be made into a raked stage as well.



I VOW THAT I WILL WORK AT THE NATIONAL AT SOME POINT IN MY LIFE. I will make it happen, whatever it takes.

After the tour, we had a light dinner at the National's cafe before seeing The Holy Rosenbergs in the Cottisloe theatre. The Brits sure know how to make a good tuna sandwich. 

This show was an amazing piece of contemporary drama with an incredible cast...starring Henry Goodman. I took notes before the show and at intermission and will copy 'em.

Before the show:
I love this theatre. It's like if the Young Vic, the U's Studio 115, and George's Inn all had a baby. And. Put. It. On. Crack. The set looks like a normal family's living room. 

Intermission:
Wow! I honestly feel like I'm a living, listening and breathing wall in the Rosenberg household. The scene between the mum, Leslie, and her daughter, Ruth, while there were setting the dining room table for guests reminded me of my mum and I! The relationship between them is so clear! Also, Mr. Rosenberg reminds me so much of Mr. Ricci! And that's a compliment!

Better buy the script soon!

And I did. This is Laura from the future. I bought the script and can't wait to force my father to read it. MUHAHAHA.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's fascinating information! Thank you for sharing it. I love the info re: Mary Queen of Scots' tomb - I didn't know the story, and never noticed the tiger. Love that.

    ReplyDelete