| Beautiful bus ride to Bath. |
When we got to Bath, we walked through Bath Abbey and it was gorgeous. The fan vaulting was more beautiful in this cathedral than any other we've seen...so far. And there was a memorial for an American senator there! What?!
| In front of Bath Abbey. |
| Fan vaulted ceilings!!! |
| The main bath with Bath Abbey in the background. Photo by Andy |
We got into the Baths and...they were just as amazing, if not more so, as when I was a kid. To make the experience even better, Andy was thrilled by the whole thing! He was fascinated! It was cool as a kid, but this time I was intrigued by the history behind it all. That the natural spring and the Roman foundations and remains survived over 2,000 years! The spring itself is amazing to me...just how it sprung up and then remained warm for thousands of years is incredible.
My favorite bath this time was the circle bath. It is the cold pool that people jumped into after a hot bath to close their pores. The pool was filled with shining and glimmering coins that, with the cool water, cast soothing shadows on the dark walls.
| The Circle Bath. |
We trekked up to the fashion museum and...wow...that was much more interesting as a kid. The outfits were just a bit tacky this time around.
Luckily, we headed right over to the Royal Crescent afterwards through the beautiful park. We stopped by a little Georgian garden on the way with the most adorable flowers called Campanula Persicifula.
| He loves climbing walls to see the beautiful gardens on the other side. |
| This makes me smile! |
We continued walking the path to the Royal Crescent. Once we got close, I made Andy close his eyes while I led him to the middle of the huge lawn in front. He opened his eyes and a HUGE smile took over his face. He was completely surprised. The Royal Crescent was ten times more magnificent than my young memory allowed.
Bath in general was very different than I remembered.
After the Royal Crescent experience, I had to get over to the Jane Austen museum to take care of a very important tradition.
| OHHH, MISTAH DAHCY! |
| Laura Place! |
| The Avon River Photo by Andy |
| Pultney Bridge Photo by Andy |
| Pultney Bridge Photo by Andy |
This was such a comforting day because I thought of my incredible family all day long and how much they mean to me.
It sounds, and looks, like a really really lovely day!
ReplyDeleteThe picture of the coins in the Circle Bath is really cool! It captures the shadowy light you describe perfectly.
The picture of the countryside is sublime. It's so beautiful there. Having a home in Bath is on my "when I win the lottery" list.
All of the pictures are great - Andy's a very good photographer (assuming he's taking most, if not all, of them).
Last, but not least, the buns and tea look scrumptious. Wish I could have some right now. Our weather today looks like the weather that day in Bath!
Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed descriptions of your days :-)
p.s. Bath Abbey is one of the most gorgeous, and you don't hear much about it. The picture of the fan vault ceiling is great. I think there are so many other cool things in Bath that the abbey takes second place in travel guides. Unfortunately.
ReplyDeleteAndy only takes the pictures I give him credit for hahaha I try to put on as many of the ones I've taken as possible.
ReplyDeleteThe travel guides should replace the lame fashion museum for the abbey.
I miss you, Daydee!!!!
Oh my gosh. Just when I thought yesterday's post was my favorite. GORGEOUS photos, Lu! You, too, Master Andy. Love your river photos!
ReplyDeleteCheck out Facebook for some surprise retro photos, chicken. Also, stay tuned for some 10-year old Laura Bath-musings. Love youEEE!!!
Miss Laura Melton's Bath journal entry. April 11, 2001.
ReplyDeleteToday, Mom, Dad and I took the train to Bath. Will went to the beach at Weymouth with Aunt Holly, Uncle John and the girls.
First we went to the Roman baths. We took an audio tour. The baths get their water from naturally hot springs, which I thought was interesting. I also liked the sacred springs where the early Romans would throw little pieces of metal with prayers or curses carved onto them. Mom made me take a sip of the Bath water because she said it was supposed to be healing. It was gross! Mom and Dad drank a half a glass each!
Next we dropped by the Jane Austen Centre so I could get my picture taken next to the picture of Mr. Darcy's.
We went to the Royal Crescent next, which is a row of joined three-story townhouses in the shape of a crescent. This design was fashionable in 18th century Georgian England. Georgian architecture was designed to be perfectly symmetrical. The crescent is more famous, but I liked the King's Circus---little Georgian townhouses in a circle---better.
The Museum of Costume was my favorite stop in Bath. I loved seeing all of the dresses from medieval times clear through the present day. We even saw the Versace dress that Jennifer Lopez wore last year at the Academy Awards! My favorite dresses were the ones from Jane Austen's time: the early 1800s. We took an audio tour here too---it was free!
We were tired and hungry, so we had a cream tea at Sally Lunn's House, the oldest one in Bath dating from Roman times! In the basement, you could see the foundations from Roman through medieval times and beyond!
Last mom and I went to the Impossible Microworld exhibition. Dad went to see a flyshop and to spend time at the river while we were at the exhibition. It had tiny sculptures of art that you could only see through a giant magnifying glass. My favorite was a tiny Polar Bear standing on a granule of sugar.